Chai coffee Pot the Crème

Have you ever head of pot the creme? Not me before I stumbled upon it on one of my favourite foodblogs La Tartine Gourmande. If you ask all-knowing Wikipedia about this French dessert it just answers you: "Pot de crème is made with eggs, cream, milk, and a flavor, often vanilla. The mixture is then poured into ramekins which are then baked in a water bath." Basically it is the (more sophisticated) French version of our German Pudding (custard), which isn't made with eggs but with corn starch. Nobody in Germany I know makes Pudding from scratch (except me and my dear friend André of course who likes to use all chocolate rests he doesn't likes to eat ). Normally you just buy a package, cook milk, stir in powder and sugar - ready. So I wanted to try the French version which is very handy if you (like me) alway have eggs and milk in your fridge. The time I tried this recipe, I was in love with a instant chai coffee I found at my supermarket (right, I confess I too used instant stuff in some way) - and I love coffee flavour ...

Chai coffee Pot the Crème
for 6 small glas jars
  • 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 250 ml milk
  • 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
  • one package instant chai coffee (Krüger)
In a pot, pour the milk bring to a boil. Mix in the espresso and chai coffee powder. Preheat your oven at 160°C. In a bowl, beat the eggs and egg yolk with the sugar, then add the hot milk slowly while beating. Pour the cream in small ramekins or jars and place them in a dish (or large baking mould) filled with hot water, so that they are half immersed. Place in the oven and cook for about 35 to 40 minutes. The middle of the creams should still be moving a little - the creams will settle once they cool down. Take the jars or ramekins out and let them cool down. Place a plastic wrap on top and place them in the fridge to rest for a few hours before eating.



There are lot's of variations you can make according to the flavours and I've picked out some interesting recipes from my favourite food blogs:
Potsdecremes.com (dessert history and recipes - even some savoury ones)
Maple Pot the Crème from O Pistachio
Chocolate and Vanilla Petits Pots de Crème from La Tartine Gourmande
Chocolate and Raspberry Pot de Crème, Lemon Thyme Pot the Crème and Butterscotch Pot the Crème from Canelle et Vanille

1 Kommentar:

Julia @Mélanger hat gesagt…

I remember seeing that recipe on Bea's website. I often have a lot of spare egg yolks on hand and I love to make custard based desserts with it. I'll have to give this a go. I love the chai coffee flavour combination!